Skip to main content

The Point

the-point-bookcover





The Point: The Redemption of Oban Ironbout by Wiliam E. Jefferson

This new book by William E. Jefferson entitled The Redemption is a novel about redemption and letting go of the past as well.  The story centers around two main character, Hollie and Goodwin who set out on a journey to the Isle of Estillyen, an island that is said to inhabit people who have an uncanny habit of speaking wise words.  Goodwin pushes the to go The Point, a house with an old recluse named Oban Ironbout, who has been through the death of his twins and has not been the same since.  After the initial pummeling of words and shells on Goodwin, Goodwin is convinced that the sketch he drew from a painting of his family is a key to unlocking the story of Oban. 

While I really enjoyed discovering more and more about the life of Oban and the history that unfolds in the story, the readings on the island were a bit forced.  I do agree that the twisted words can wreak havoc upon relationships, but biblically speaking its not only the words that matter but a defamation of character that is related to the words.  In one section we see Lucifer trying to turn the name of God upside down so that the humans will be deceived.  Jefferson writes, “Now take the name I AM.  Instead of fleshies saying, ‘I AM,’ teach’em to mutter ‘ain’t I.’  Instead of saying ‘king,’ tell ‘em to mutter ‘sling.’  We can do it!  We can do it!  Oh, I know we can do it” (68)!  I see the display of repeating the style and constancy of the biblical record, but I think the phrases that come out of Lucifer’s mouth are hard to fathom as reasonable for someone to hold onto.  The connection between the Screwtape Letters is inevitable here but I think Jefferson focuses at times too much on the right rendering of specific words rather than how they could be displayed in the story. 

Overall, I found the book to be a weaving of different storylines along some retellings of Scripture that were very interesting.  I was a bit confused about the point of having so many different intersecting plotlines and having to work to see their connections.  The real takeaway from the story was walking through the life of Oban Ironbout and seeing Hollie and Goodwin draw out his story.  This idea of a man hardened by the crushing blows of death and pain is a real example in our own world.  Yet, remembering the past for what joy it brought helped bring Oban back to a sense of reality instead of escaping into a reclusive monastery.  This part of the book was a good look into the redemptive work of God in using means, his people to bring about a message of healing. 

I think there are some very good parts in this book coupled with a confusing plot.  I hope others will be encouraged by the story of Oban and the way both Hollie and Goodwin deal him.


Thanks to Handlebar Publishing for the review copy of this book in exchange for review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving Casper

Saving Casper: A Christian and an Atheist Talk about Why We Need to Change the Conversion Conversation by Jim Henderson and Matt Casper http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Casper-Christian-Conversion-Conversation/dp/1414364881 Many readers will quickly know the authors of this book from their previous release Jim and Casper Go to Church.  Jim and Matt’s new book entitled Saving Casper focuses on the way we talk about conversion in the church and the devastating ways we have pushed away atheists and other non-believers by our posture.  Both Jim and Matt traversed the national landscape, meeting in churches and asking hard questions about faith, conversion, and life. The basic premise of the book and travel is laid out here in their words, “Part of what Casper and I are trying to achieve when we speak to a group of Christians is to help people move a little bit on their “judgment meter.”  This capacity, while intellectually and often theologically uncomfortable,...

Essential Christian Doctrine

  Essential Christian Doctrine , General Editor John MacArthur Pastor John MacArthur has for years been teaching the Word of God in both pulpit ministry, books, and conferences with an aim to displaying God’s revelation to his listeners in a winsome and foundational manner.  This new book, Essential Christian Doctrine takes an entire life of teaching and preaching and encapsulates the main contours of the Christian faith for its readers.  John in a systematic way highlights the most necessary teachings from Scripture including God’s Word, the Trinity, while also including sections on Man and the Future. One of the most helpful ways the authors bring to light biblical truth and theology is the way in which they group together particular themes.  In the section on the Holy Spirit, instead of a complex discussion of personhood, word pictures of the Holy Spirit are introduced in a discernible and profitable manner.  The metaphors for the Holy Spirit include fir...

God's Grace for All of Life

The Romance of Grace by Jim McNeely III To be honest, when I received this book in the mail I had visions of what it might be like with a title like, ‘The Romance of Grace.’  The emotional rollercoaster and one-sided perspective on how our emotions fuel our faith was my presumption about the book, but this was the furthest thing from the truth as I started reading.  The Romance of Grace by Pastor Jim McNeely III is a careful look at the movements of grace in the way God pursues us with his love and his desire to get us to love him back.  McNeely writes, “We are entering a cosmic romance with a passionate lover, and He is interested in our heart’s truest desire.  His deepest objective isn’t to make us more moral; it is to get us to love Him back.  Virtue is the fruit, not the root” (18).  Why is this helpful?  For one thing, beginning with God’s initiating grace frees us from starting out on the wrong foot in the way we tell the story and...